This course is designed to achieve consistently higher VMG in light wind. Imagine having that untouchable speed that the best light air sailors seem to produce so effortlessly. With the help of this course, it will be your reality. Included are; high quality video skill demonstrations, concept explanations, performance checklists, and on-water plans made of actionable deliberate practice.
We'll cover the full range of light wind conditions from drifter through leaning outboard, but not hiking. We also include common errors to help you troubleshoot the problems seen most often. When combined with the performance checklists and drills, you'll take your light air game into the stratosphere.
This course has changed the way sailors feel about light wind - it turns a fickle practice day into an awesome learning experience and sheds new light on topics even the most seasoned Laser sailors will appreciate. Coaches have found it to be an excellent resource for sailing skill diagnostic refinement and solidifying knowledge of key concepts.
Utilizing the knowledge presented, by following the guidelines during training, will increase your Upwind Light Air Speed markedly. So let's get to it!
- Introduction to an Optimized Boat & Boatspeed Definition (6:34)
- Interacting with Coaches & Setting up a Training Session
- Knowledge to Results: Deliberate Practice & Feedback Loops (2:18)
- Fundamentals: Developing Wind Awareness (7:27)
- Fundamentals: Secrets of Finding Close-hauled & Developing Perfect Angles (6:03)
- Light Wind Introduction & Condition Summary (2:49)
- Olympic Body and Tiller Position (4:38)
- Perfecting Angles: Using Telltales Correctly (7:12)
- Sail Setup and Mainsheet Tensions (4:54)
- Body Weight and Sheet Sequences to Maximize Boatspeed (11:58)
- Resets: The Key to Effective Angle Correction (7:23)
- Driving Straight & Active Driving through Chop (9:52)
- Gust Mangement (5:24)
- Lull Management (6:12)
Hi, I'm Vaughn Harrison
I've spent the last 15 years coaching Laser techniques to sailors from beginner to Olympic levels. I am the Canadian National Radial Team Coach and have coached over 20 Olympians in the past 10 years. In this course we will explore every aspect of upwind sailing speed in light air.
We've created a method for YOU to self evaluate your progress during practice, and take your speed to the next level.