This course is designed to achieve consistently higher VMG in medium wind. Imagine driving effortlessly through chop, rig perfectly balanced, heel is even and consistent, sheeting accurate and purposeful... you're adapting well to changes, and using your energy efficiently on a perfect medium breeze, sunny day. Tactics are made easy with your newfound speed, and you round the top mark in great shape, again. With the help of this course, it will be your reality.
Included are; high quality video skill demonstrations, concept explanations, performance checklists, and on-water plans made of actionable deliberate practice. You'll also review examples of common errors to help you troubleshoot the problems seen most often.
You'll learn new techniques through a large range of conditions from seeking power to throwing it away purposefully. We’ll move from the transition into hiking, to depowered days with gusts that require occasional sheet drops, but always have you returning to full sheet tension.
You’ll learn the fundamentals of medium wind performance sailing AND we’ll shed new light on topics even the most seasoned Laser sailors will appreciate. Coaches have found this course to be an excellent resource for sailing skill diagnostic refinement and solidifying their technical knowledge base.
Following the guidelines set forth during your practice sessions, combined with the knowledge presented will increase your Medium Air Boatspeed markedly. So let's get to it!
- Interacting with Coaches using Discord & Session Planning (2:24)
- Introduction to an Optimized Boat & Boatspeed Definition (6:34)
- Knowledge to Results: Deliberate Practice & Feedback Loops (2:18)
- Fundamentals: Developing Wind Awareness (7:27)
- Fundamentals: Secrets of Close-hauled & Developing Perfect Angles (6:03)
- Medium Wind Condition Summary & Objectives (3:31)
- Hiking Essentials (7:30)
- Early Hiking Strategies (6:52)
- Sail Setup: Medium Wind (19:23)
- Adjusting your Controls: Pro Method (4:46)
- Upwind Speed: Medium Wind Review
- Ease for Power (5:18)
- The Fast Boat Paradox (5:43)
- The Slow Boat Paradox (6:25)
- Active Driving & Body Movement (12:27)
- Lane Holding (6:29)
Hi, I'm Vaughn Harrison
I've spent the last 15 years coaching Laser techniques to sailors from beginner to Olympic levels. I am the Canadian National Radial Team Coach and have coached over 20 Olympians in the past 10 years. In this course we will explore every aspect of upwind sailing speed in medium air.
We've created a method for YOU to self evaluate your progress during practice, and take your speed to the next level.